Great for you to get a new house! It must be a very exciting phase of your life. But have you properly planned a removal before you move? What inventory list is on your mind to check-in? Since moving is a complicated process you must have many questions in your mind! Worry not, to get you at ease, we have provided a House Removal Checklist. This removal guide has been divided into 3 sections: Before Moving, On The Day You Move, and Once Moved. Following these tips will guide you throughout!
Have a happy removal ahead!
There are certain things you need to make sure before moving. These tasks on our inventory checklist will help you keep your head out of all the pains afterward.
At least 90 days before moving, start researching about the moving companies. If you start even before, the better it will serve! You can search either online or by asking friends. How to choose a removal company, will be explained later in this article. Also research about the new area you are shifting in. Make sure about the water supplies, hospitals, schools, and other facilities.
Transfer your records
Make sure that you have a “Who to inform/Transfer records” bullet on your house removal checklist. Since you are getting shifted to a new place, it is very important to change the address for all the records. Contact your Banks, Government Authorities, Children Schools, and other Utility organizations. These official procedures may often take some time. Therefore, depending upon your experience with the institutes, you can decide when to inform each.
If you have been living in the previous house for a long time, it might be difficult for your contacts to know about your new address. For such a situation, to make sure you do not miss a single mail or post from your loved ones, the best tip on this guide is a mail redirect. You can simply contact the post office for change in address. The procedure usually takes less than a fortnight.
Clear the clutter
Perhaps, the most difficult part of shifting is to clear the clutter of the previous home. While living, you may not notice, but when it comes to moving and packing the things, an unworthy mess has to be cleared. Following tips will help you sort out such a situation:
- Out of the large mess, categorize the things as to be used, to be thrown, and to be sold.
- Start packing the most obvious items that are not used daily so that you may save time at the time near to moving.
- Instead of doing all the work on the day of moving, start clearing the mess 2 or 3 weeks earlier.
How to choose a removal company?
You may have been going very well with all the tasks mentioned in your inventory list. However, even if you do everything perfectly, choosing a non-standard removal company will ruin all your excitement. Follow the following tips as they will guide you on how to save your back while selecting a removal firm.
- Do not opt for it. Do a complete research about removal companies near you.
- Visit them or ask them to visit your house, get deep insights about their quotes and reviews.
- Do the same for multiple companies and compare their quotes.
- Clear all the confusion regarding the terms and policies by asking them.
- If you have fragile items, you must go for removal insurance.
- Analyzing the firm’s quotes and integrating them to your personal needs, select the one with good repute and affordable price
- Remember, do not opt for a company from far off area. Go for the one near your vicinity.
On The Day You Move
Finally, the day has come. You are going to embark upon a new journey ahead. It is the time when your hormones can go high. Beware, do not let yourself be blown away with your emotions. Save the enthusiasm for new house celebrations. What you have to do on this day?
- Be calm, and double-check the house removal checklist.
- Do not panic, even if you have missed something. Look for it and make it complete as possible. Even if you cannot handle it, for now, take the important leads and leave the rest. It will be even better if you mark a preference level against each bullet a day before.
- Check if all the boxes are properly labelled.
- Place the keys at an easy to locate place so that new residents may find no difficulty.
- Check for the necessary payments you have made, it would be better to take pictures of all your bills to be on the safe side in case of some claim.
- Receive your movers and start loading.
- Make sure you have turned off all the main switches before you leave.
Congratulations! At last, out of various hurdles and procedures, you have made it. It is surely a moment of great pleasure and satisfaction. You have gone very well through your house removal checklist. Just a few chores needed to be done now!
- Make sure that everything is unloaded under your supervision.
- You may even take a tea or coffee break to relax after all the wearisome work.
- Guide the workers to place which box in which room. You may also have someone on your behalf to instruct them.
- Once everything is unloaded properly, count on the boxes once again to make sure if anything is missing!
- If you have paid the removal firm for cleaning and setting also, supervise them for the service.
- Do not just sign the removal documents, make sure that all your belongings are intact.
- Even if you discover some broken items after some days, check the claim-period mentioned on removal insurance papers to claim for its price.
- It would normally take 3 or 4 weeks to unpack and set everything as you want. Take your time as you like it. Check out if the house needs some extra baggage or services before throwing a new house party!